What I Learned From my First Art Show

 ENGLISH    |     ESPAÑOL

A first art show is like just like many "first times" in our lives. The excitement and nerves overpower you, your mind is racing with endless possibilities, the sensation of butterflies in your stomach mixed with the nonstop shaking of your knees. My first art show in Whittier, CA turned out to be an insightful one. Thanks to the "expect nothing" mentality I went into it with, I was able to learn a lot from this experience.

Small art walks are great for beginners. They help shy people get out of their comfort zone without the pressure of a large crowd. The Downtown Los Angeles Art Walk is crowded by artists and sightseers alike. So crowded that you cannot stop for more than a couple of seconds to view someones booth and keep moving. Art should be absorbed without the disturbance of pushing and shoving.

Another thing I noticed is not every kind of art event suits your art. This doesn't mean that your art is bad, but the aesthetic will not always fit the audience. For example, the majority of people in this show were selling hand-made crafts and the painters sold small, affordable art pieces. Everyone that passed by my booth complimented my work as it stood out. Not to be confused with being conceited, but I was given a couple of comments such as, "You should charge more for these prints," and "She is a REAL artist". An important thing to consider in this game is that you may be worth more than you think.
My objective was not to sale everything (I only sold one original sketch). My goal was to see the reaction of the public. Their words, expressions, and positive gasps said more to me than making a sale. This is where you must also think of how far you can take your work if you decide to make money. I had set my prices between the 2 and 3 digit realm, but as the night went on I received opinions on how it should be in the thousands! People wanted to know more about the art as well as the petite painter behind it. This leads to my final point: Networking is key!

If you want to make a real name for yourself, people have to know more than what a social media account can show. Interacting with the crowd and letting them know where to find you is crucial in developing your audience. Even if people don't buy, they can share photos and videos of you with their groups. Several people videotaped me while I painted and three people were recording it live on Instagram. Other artists came up to me and conversed, later to follow me on social media and share my work with their followers. You will gain admirers and receive several comments. So get out their and network!

I'm currently selling limited prints on my Instagram (@artbyadriana) and have already sold three! If you're interested in seeing them and/or pricing, make sure to DM me or head over to the Contact page of this blog. Enjoy!
Adriana "Adi" Roblès
罗安翠

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you so much, darling!
      Have a great weekend.

      Delete
  2. I understand the comment about the compliments versus what you've sold. I write a set of books under a pen name. I've had a few people who've read it (thanks to my pen name's Twitter) talk to me about it. I wrote it out of love, so it's nice to see it appreciated. I think it's obvious to anyone regardless of the medium if someone is crafted out of love or due to someone wanting to make some green off of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's amazing! It's always cool to learn these little facts. If anything, it's more inspiring.

      Delete
  3. Wow sounds like you've had a pretty great first experience! I wish you so much success with your art! <3

    Renee @ Maritime Mama

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is truly wonderful! I seriously love your artistic style! It reminds me of Aztecs and cultures like this one ♥ ✿

    Blog de la Licorne * Instagram * We♥It

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Join the fun!